Monday, October 7, 2019

Revenge Is a Dish... of Curried Goat



I hope my readers had a good weekend. Travalon and I had a wonderful date night on Friday, when we went to Flix Brewhouse for fish fry, beer, and the movie Downton Abbey. I would highly recommend this movie if, like us, you were an avid watcher of the TV show. If you have never seen the TV show, there is very little explanation of who all the characters are, because it is assumed that you already know.

Saturday morning Travalon and I met Tiffy, the Single B-Boy, and Richard Bonomo for coffee, then Travalon went to check out Harvest Fest on Library Mall while Tiffy, Rich, and I got lunch at the Globe. We had been hoping to do the corn maze that day, but it was rainy, so Tiffy and I went to Fired Up and made fused glass objects. Mine is a bowl (or it will be after firing – right now it’s flat) with a cheerful sun on it. Is the sun a male or a female? The Romance languages consider it masculine, maybe because in comparison to the feminine moon, it is much stronger and more intense. However, in Irish both the sun and the moon are feminine, and I kind of like that. After all, the sun is a star, and stars seem feminine to me. It takes care of us here on earth, providing light and heat so that we can live. That seems maternal to me. After that we met Rich, the Single B-Boy, and Travalon at David’s Jamaican Restaurant for dinner. Rich and the B-Boy wanted to have curried goat in revenge against the mountain goats that continuously harassed them during their hiking trip in Glacier National Park. I took a picture of them eating goat to text to the third participant of this trip, who lives in Colorado and so couldn’t join the festivities. After dinner Tiffy and I went to a Baroque music concert, this one all music of Telemann. Some of it was pretty funny, like the stuff based on Gulliver’s Travels and Don Quixote, and my favorite, a cantata in memory of a canary eaten by a cat.

Yesterday Travalon was really sick, so we went to Mass in Westport, then I met Tiffy for brunch at Crema Café. It was crowded in there, so we felt we should give our table to someone who was waiting for one, but we weren’t done talking. I suggested a new coffee house at the old Garver feed mill building, and when we went in, two baristas were standing behind the counter as if they were waiting for business, but they said, “We’re not open yet. Later this week.” So Tiffy and I went to a vegan café that had just opened in the same building, and I had golden milk. Not only was it delicious, it made me feel wonderful afterwards. So when Jilly Moose, Luxuli, Travalon, and I took a rosary walk on a path by Jilly Moose’s workplace, I suggested they all try the golden milk. We got there just as the café was closing, but they did sell us golden milk. (I did not have more, since I wasn’t sure of the effects of two golden milks in one day.) Apparently it is coconut milk and almond milk with ginger, turmeric, cardamom, and black pepper, so I wonder which ingredient boosted my mood so much? Oh yeah, on the rosary walk we saw a baby snake on the path, and I tried to move it off, but Travalon was sure it was a baby rattlesnake, so I gave up before it bit me. It was sluggish but looked like it was thinking about striking me. Travalon and I watched part of the Packer game in a bar because I had thought the concert we were going to was an hour earlier than it actually was, and I was so happy to see them defeat the Cowboys even as I watched in real time. Maybe my watching them doesn’t really curse them…? The concert was Chanticleer, an all-male choral group, doing songs from around the world about trade winds. Travalon didn’t really like it until they did a Queen song for the encore. I guess from now on I will only ask him to go to concerts of classic rock, like possibly the upcoming Mini Kiss – an actual band of midgets doing Kiss songs in full makeup. I saw an ad for it and had to tell Travalon, who said, “I was going to tell you about that!” If we go, I promise to give you a full report.

Famous Hat


No comments: