Thursday, March 28, 2024

Niko at the Holy Thursday Mass in a Gym

 

Today Travalon dropped me off on campus on his way to work, since he's had to go in earlier this week. I had an in-person meeting, and I took the opportunity to water the plants and do the mail. Weirdly, nobody was responding to my emails, even though they didn't have out-of-office messages, except for someone that I just sent an FYI message to, and she said, "Thanks!" But of course the people I needed to get a hold of didn't respond. 

After work I took the bus back to where I'd parked my car, and then I drove to the church in a gym. It only occurred to me today that this church, being on Atwood Avenue, would count for a fourth of Street Fest, so every time I go to Mass there, I technically could be starting another round of Street Fest. The gym itself is not the most compelling place to go to Mass, but what draws me is the music. I was surprised not to see Mr. N'Awlins there, since he is almost always there on Sundays. Did he go somewhere else? Is he out of town? Who knows? 

I was wearing my cardigan with pockets, and I put Niko in a pocket and squeezed him during Mass. For some reason it's very comforting to feel something soft and fuzzy in your pocket. The Mass was long but beautiful, with responses written by the choir director and "Ave Verum Corpus" by Byrd after communion. Of course they sang "Pange Lingua" and processed around the gym with the sacrament, then they went into the community room, where everyone was welcome to join them... except there wasn't really room for everyone. At nine they were going to do Night Prayer, but I just went home and did Night Prayer over Zoom with Jilly Moose, the Dairyman's Daughter, and Anna Banana II. 

I keep forgetting to mention this, but while we were on our trip, I hooked the gardenia up to the automatic waterer. It must have liked that, because now it's covered with buds, and one opened a few days ago so the kitchen smells wonderful. It has four more buds, so hopefully it blooms again a few more times.

I have decided on a name for my dragon rabbit. It is so beautiful and mysterious, it needs a beautiful and mysterious name, and I was leaning towards it being a girl. After last night, I thought "Tenebrae" would be a perfect name, because it means "darkness" and is a feminine noun in Latin. Jilly Moose and the Dairyman's Daughter approved of the name, so she is now Tenebrae.


Famous Hat


No comments: