The map from the dream I mentioned yesterday does exist - you can buy one online - but of course for Alabama they have the Crimson Tide "A," not a Belleek castle tower. I did forget to relate my crazy conversation with our student hourly yesterday: she asked if I would be in the next day, and I said no, so she said, "Oh yeah, you always work from home on Sunday. I mean Friday! Boy, am I off by a few days!" I said on Sunday I was too busy doing Brazilian drumming to come to work, and she said, "That is not what I was expecting you to say!" So we got into a conversation about how when I was in college many moons ago, my Portuguese TA had a unit on travel in which we learned the word for hijacking, and another on signs of the zodiac. She said they had learned signs of the zodiac in Russian (did I mention that her parents are from Transdniestria?), but she couldn't remember how to say "I am a Libra" in Russian, so she googled it... and then she googled how to say "hijack" in Russian. I said, "Careful, they'll put you on a list," and then I asked if she had done the mail or if I needed to do it. She said, "I did it, but I don't know who this is," and she showed me a postcard for an emeritus professor advertising a Baroque concert. I said, "I was going to go to that concert, but it's while I'm out of town for a wedding," and she said, "Of course you were going to go to that concert." I think she thinks I know everything going on in town, which is maybe almost true. If you need to know about Baroque music, Brazilian music, or Irish music, I am your source.
Today Travalon and I walked at Jackson's Landing during our lunch break, then after work I took a long rosary walk before driving down to my old neighborhood to go to Taigu, a Chinese noodle restaurant in the building that used to house the little butcher shop/grocery store I went to back in the day. Travalon came from work and met me, and then Seabird and her husband joined us. Everyone at the restaurant knew and loved Seabird - I felt like I was out with a celebrity! The owner gave us free eggrolls before dinner and free almond cookies after dinner. I kind of know how to say thank you in Mandarin (I'm sure I really butcher it), and that seemed to delight them all. The food was really good - homemade cat ear noodles! - and I said we should come back and invite Hardingfele and her husband, since they live right nearby. Instead of a double date, it could be a triple one. Once upon a time Hardingfele's daughter (who used to go by Rockstar Taylor on this blog) was in kindergarten with Seabird's younger son. Now they are out of college.
Speaking of kids, my coworker became a grandpa today. His granddaughter is just a little peanut - she barely weighed four pounds! She wasn't early, she just wasn't getting any bigger, so they induced her mom. Seems like all the babies are induced or taken by C-section these days. Does nobody have a natural birth anymore?
Here is the poster I mentioned before that Travalon got with his gift card.
There haven't been as many videos on social media with good graffiti, but here are a few screenshots.
And here is some graffiti Travalon found on social media, which I do not think is local:
Hey hey hey! It's Fat Albert and the gang! It's heartbreaking that Bill Cosby turned out to be a bad dude, because I used to love this show so much, and his standup work. Chocolate cake for breakfast!
Famous Hat



No comments:
Post a Comment