Monday, June 7, 2010

Visiting Rooster

Sorry, I have lots of pictures – and a movie! – from my trip to my hometown of Rooster, but I can’t put them on the blog yet. It’s a long story, but Rich is currently on a family trip to Mickey Mouse Heck, and he brought Aquinas with him for aid and comfort, so I have not been able to download the photos off my camera. I will provide a brief summary for now and will post pictures once Rich returns from Mickey Mouse Heck.

My besty Tiffy and I hit the road late Saturday morning and arrived at my brother’s house in a downpour right on time for De-Niece’s graduation party. I brought her the cash and savings bonds I’ve been saving for her all these years, although in two years I will not be able to bring the same thing to De-Nephew One because I sent it all to him earlier this year so he could afford to go to Europe for some Fantastic Opportunity that will get him College Credit. Among the guests at the party were two Rottweilers and a pug, besides all sorts of friends and relatives of the graduate. My sister-in-law had a beautiful setup for an outdoor party but no contingency plan for rain, so we all crowded into the garage. De-Niece’s girlfriends smeared cake all over her face, which didn’t please her too much. There was a mortarboard-shaped piñata which we never got to take a swing at and plenty of food and drink that we did get to consume.

Then Tiffy and I stayed at the swanky Kahler Hotel, which really wasn’t much more expensive than your basic motel for our little room with two little beds. It was very cute and cozy. The pool is on the top story, with incredible views of Rooster in three directions and a dome over it that lights up different colors at night. We were a bit weirded out by all the kids running by the “no running” signs, diving under the “no diving” signs, jamming themselves into the “maximum capacity four” hot tub although they were clearly under the minimum age of 12, and playing around with the weight-training equipment, all without any obvious parental supervision. Miraculously, they all survived. Then we met my parents for a late dinner at an Italian restaurant.

Sunday morning we met my parents for brunch at a Dutch pancake house, and when I ordered a chocolate chip Dutch pancake a la mode, Tiffy said, "How old are you?" Then we drove back, passing through several torrential downpours. I went to the late Mass for Corpus Christi and saw a number of other regulars from the 9:00 Mass there, so either everyone was out of town this weekend, or everyone else slept in.

Famous Hat

No comments: