Monday, April 15, 2024

Biology in the Humanities Building? What the F--K?

 

Today I worked on campus, and in the afternoon we had our Staff Congress meeting. I was sitting next to my union buddy whom I have never heard swear, in fact he's one of those people who is so good they don't seem real. For instance, that Staff Excellence Award we both won? He donated his to charity. Not me - I used mine to help fund our trip to Bimini. Anyway, the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Capital Projects or some such title gave a presentation, and she mentioned the new Humanities building and how it would house a number of Humanities departments. My union buddy's department is one that will be moving there. Then she said, "Biology will have a large presence there," and my union buddy whispered, "What the F--K??" Biology already has its own building, and it's not a Humanities discipline. After her presentation, this Vice Chancellor took questions, and my buddy asked about this, so she clarified, "It's not Biology, it's History." How does one mix up those two disciplines??

While I was at the meeting, a neighbor texted to ask if it was a good time to call. I figured she was going to complain about something, since I'm on the board, but I told her it was an okay time to call. Turns out she just wanted me to water her plants, so no big deal. Then it turns out she's very sick, so I felt bad thinking she was just going to complain about another neighbor or something.

The neighbor I walk with is back from Florida - she returned a month early so she could watch the eclipse in Missouri on her way back up north. Her camper van still says: "Eclipse or bust!" We walked after work, and she told me about her experience watching the eclipse with some random people in a small park just off the interstate. At Carbondale they were charging $25 for people to go out onto the football field to watch it, and I can't help hoping they at least got some sort of swag, because charging people to watch something that is free to watch up in the sky seems kind of ridiculous if you don't get a commemorative something or other.

I forgot to post these pictures yesterday. First, some DuoLingo bragging:


My T-shirt from Bimini glows under blacklight! Not sure why blacklight makes me look like an evil supervillain...


When I went to water my neighbor's plants this evening, I saw her Christmas cactus was blooming.


She said they hadn't been watered in a month, so I went into her unit with some trepidation. All the plants but one had a contraption to slowly water them; the one that didn't looked a bit withered, but after I watered it, it plumped right back up. I filled the contraptions on the other plants, so they should be good to go for a while, but I'll have to check on the contraption-less plant next week. The other plants (as you can see) all seemed very happy. Maybe I should hook mine up to contraptions to water them, because when I hooked some up to a contraption while we were on vacation, the gardenia was so happy that it was covered in buds. Now a second one has opened. They smell so good!


Famous Hat


No comments: