Thursday, January 13, 2022

When the Sun Is an Artist

 

Today was a busy day at work, and then I had a Union meeting, but it was lovely out for the second day in a row so Travalon and I walked a lot. (He had to work from home today, and will again tomorrow, and I am working from home until the week after next.) After my meeting, we walked over to Mariner's for ice cream drinks, and it was still quite warm out, definitely above freezing. Travalon told me that on Tuesday night a girl on the McFarland basketball team scored 62 points. Wow!! Three of the starters were injured, so she had to step up, and boy, did she ever! She also had a double-double and six steals. What a game!!

Yesterday I took my usual walk at three and saw a beautiful pattern on the columns holding up the bridge where the train always passes. I looked more closely and saw it was the way the light was falling on them, but it looked like art. I thought about running home and grabbing Travalon's good camera, but my break would have been over by then. Instead, today at three I guessed the light would still be just as beautiful. It was an overcast day at first, but by three the sun was blazing, so I asked Travalon to grab his good camera and follow me. We passed the out-of-commission boat that advertises Mariner's Inn.


Here you can see the cool light show on the far right side of this photo. It's a zigzag that starts sea foam green and then becomes pinkish lower down.


Here's a zoomed-in view of it.


And when Travalon really zoomed in, you can see that the columns are painted green but are rusty at the bottom, which explains the color change.


Anyway, I thought that was something really cool, because it shows up at three in the afternoon this particular week in January, and presumably at three for a few days in mid-December too. The sunlight has to be falling on it just right. I'm just so glad that Travalon is patient enough to indulge his dorky wife and take photos of the sun's art show for me.


Famous Hat


No comments: