Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Black Uhuru

 

Sorry that I did not blog yesterday. It was a very quiet day where I worked from home, and there wasn't much to say. I thought maybe I'd write a creative post, like a poem or something, but inspiration did not arrive, so I just went to bed.

Today I worked on campus, and I almost missed the shuttle - it was there when I got to the parking lot, but it left as soon as I and one other woman who pulled in behind me and parked right next to me got on. I had to leave one meeting for another meeting, then I walked with my colleague at lunch, and our pace was slow for her but just right for me. I felt like I was running from place to place the whole day. Then I got home and changed into comfy clothes, thinking I'd have a few minutes before Travalon got home... but he got home the minute I had changed. 

We knew Black Uhuru were playing tonight at the Barrymore (where we saw another reggae band, Steel Pulse, almost exactly five years ago), but we didn't buy tickets ahead of time, not knowing how worn out we'd be this evening. After a quick dinner, we decided to do it, and it was great! We found a parking spot nearby right away, and we bought tickets at the door and found decent seats. At first it seemed like hardly anyone was going to be there, but as soon as the band started (half an hour late - on Jamaican time, apparently), a whole bunch of people appeared out of nowhere and ran to the front, where they danced for the whole concert. The lead singer danced the whole time too - I got tired just watching him! Some of the band members were older, and I loved their big hats. Some were younger, like the dancing singer and the drummer who had a very elaborate updo. We did smell a little wacky weed, as you might expect. I couldn't help bopping my head to that infectious backbeat. Here is a short little video to give you a taste.


And another one, with the older guy singing:


It was VERY loud, but fortunately I had grabbed earplugs. However, I couldn't find a matched pair, so I had one bright orange one and one bright pink one. That's okay, this is Madison - anything goes. If there was ever a town where they wouldn't expect you to having matching earplugs, this would be it.


Famous Hat 


No comments: