Sunday, September 22, 2024

No Willy Street Parade This Year

 

Today, like yesterday, turned out to be completely different than we'd planned. We were awakened at 4 am by a huge thunderstorm, and then we couldn't get back to sleep. Finally around 7 we got up, and I did some DuoLingo. Check it out.


Apparently we are in a deep-sea submersible in Unit 4, Section 8. How did I miss that?

It was still raining and there were flood warnings, so we didn't go to our usual Mass in a gym. Right now the parking lot is unpaved, and it seemed like it would be a mess. Instead, we went to the Mass north of town at 10:30. When we got home, we debated watching the Packer game at the East Side Club, but I was too tired to make any decisions, so we watched the first half at home. And that was fabulous! So we went to the East Side Club for the second half, and it only got better. There was a pick six and EIGHT sacks!! They won decisively with their backup quarterback against the Tennessee Titans. It makes me think maybe they could have beaten the Eagles in Sao Paolo if they hadn't gotten all those penalties. They had some today too, and even the announcers were like, "I don't really see it." Someone doesn't want them to win.

The Willy Street Fair Parade was canceled this morning, as I found out because I'd been invited to play with the fiddle brigade, but the festival was starting at one, so we went to check it out. I usually get my tie-dyed hippie freak on at the Willy Street Fair, but we came straight from the game and were all decked out in Packers gear. (Then again, so were a lot of people.) The fair was still a good size despite the bad weather, and we found our favorite West African food stand with the peanut butter chicken for Travalon, the jollof rice for me, and the baobab shakes for both of us. We also saw Mr. N'Awlins there, which really surprised me, since it doesn't seem like his scene, but from things he's said he was once a hardcore counterculture type and has been repenting/missing it ever since. I also had some rose water from the new Pakistani restaurant on Willy Street. Travalon had their chai. On our walk back to the car, we saw this tiny, adorable, and alarmingly fearless baby bunny.

When we came home, I crashed and took a nap, then I took a rosary walk before band practice. I'd been planning to go to the Slow Irish session this afternoon, but by the time I woke up from my nap, it was too late for that. At band practice they asked me to play melody on some tunes and then chords on some others. Of course the instrument is more versatile, but I've always been asked to do multiple things in musical groups. In our church choir, I used to be asked to sing either soprano or alto, sometimes in the same piece, like I was routinely asked to sing alto on "For Unto Us a Child Is Born" from Handel's Messiah, except where there is no alto line, to sing soprano. Anyway, at band practice we played a cumbia I have always liked, and it made me think how I've always wanted to play in a salsa band. It's not exactly salsa, but it's very Latin, so this may be as close as I'll ever come.


Famous Hat


No comments: