Friday, September 27, 2024

Chicken Collages and Northern Lights

 

Today I worked on campus, since I'd worked from home yesterday, and at lunch I wanted to go see the chicken collages that my bandmate had made. Hardingfele was out of town, and my colleague was having lunch with her coworker, so I went by myself. Here are a couple of photos.



Tomorrow is the last day. I took photos of other artwork too but am not sure of the ethics of posting it here. It's a cute exhibit, if you have the time - lots of tiny artworks. Since that is what I had done over lunch instead of taking a rosary walk, I was going to pray the rosary on the shuttle home, but as it turned out, I had a private ride, so the bus driver and I chatted. He told me that in Kenosha they have trolleys, and one is from Nagasaki - it survived the detonation because it was behind a shed. That sounds amazing!

Travalon suggested we go to the Tiki Bar at the East Side Club while we still had the chance; he wanted to watch the sunset, but we got there just a bit too late. There was still some color in the sky.


We had a drink and sat gazing out at the lake until the sky was completely dark. I thought maybe I saw northern lights, and when we got home Travalon saw what I meant, so we went out on the dock and were pretty sure we saw them, but maybe they were just clouds. We went to Governor Nelson State Park and sat out on their dock, listening to the water lap against the shore and watching the northern lights. When we got home, I went back out onto our dock. This is probably the best photo I got.


I've seen much better photos on social media, but it's usually from people who live in darker areas, and they say they have their phone on a ten-second exposure. I can't seem to change mine from the default of a three-second exposure. It feels like there are northern lights, at least faint ones, every week lately. I believe there are solar storms going on right now, which is what is causing them. I've definitely seen better ones, like not this past April but the one before, but I've never seen them so frequently. Maybe there will be some really intense ones soon.


Famous Hat


No comments: