Wednesday, July 22, 2026

FART 3 Co-Working Space and Union Picnic

 

Today I wanted to be on campus for the Union picnic, but the water in my building was still turned off. My boss said I could go to the co-working space used by FART 3, in the building where the information school used to be until they built the new building with talking robots. It wasn't a bad space - it had lots of windows, spots with two monitors that I could plug my laptop into, a fridge and a microwave, and lockers for our valuables. The people there, mostly from FART 3 but some from HART 4 (that's the HR team), seemed nice enough, but I didn't talk to them much. At lunchtime I went to Library Mall to join my Union peeps for the picnic, which was BYOF so I brought a sandwich, but they all got fun stuff from the food carts. They were hoping to catch people walking by, but not too many people were on campus with the cooling issues. The Union provided popsicles. Is this a rainbow popsicle or a chakra popsicle?


Someone brought a cheese plate and crackers, so I snacked on those too, and some almonds and cashews with dark chocolate chunks mixed in. At first there were just a few of us standing around, but more people joined, so we sat in the shade and talked. It was kind of fun, but was it worth going to campus for? I have to go again Friday for a blood donation appointment, but there won't be very many people in the co-working space that day. If nobody shows up, I won't be able to get in, so I'll work at the library.

In the building I worked in today, there are a whole bunch of lockers, and some had your basic locks on them, key locks or combination locks, but this big a$$ lock kind of blew my mind.


When I got home, I saw my black calla lily (which has six blooms) has one perfect bloom.



Then I went for a "limp" around the neighborhood, since my foot still hurts. Everyone assures me it is plantar fasciitis, and I know that's not serious, but how long does it last?? Anna Banana II did tell me a good stretch for it when we prayed the rosary on Zoom tonight, so I tried it and that seemed to help. Anyway, right after work I sat on our dock for a bit, then I checked out the oddly narrow sidewalks they seem to have created on our street. It's still torn up; at first when they tore it up, we said, "Oh, we can just go north," but now the bridge is blocked off, so we have to take the gravel road, but we said, "No worse than a road in the Upper Peninsula," and then today it was clogged with machines, so if someone was coming the other direction, you just had to wait. What will they do next to make it even worse?? As I limped along the new sidewalk, I found a crane feather, so when Travalon drove by as I was almost home, I hopped in his car and handed him the feather. If cranes can flirt with them, why can't I?

Meanwhile, Travalon went to Columbus and saw two Amtrak trains. Then he went to Portage and walked on the Ice Age Trail, where he made a new friend.






If this looks familiar to you, like you think you've seen it on the blog before but in autumn colors, you aren't mistaken - we have hiked it for the Mammoth Challenge in the past. 

Then Travalon went to the rail yard and saw some graffiti and some train engines. Check out this guy opening a door on the front of the engine!

















The weather was so pleasant today - it felt like paradise, because it was a bit cooler, with no air quality issues. Everyone is so much happier. Look how happy Frothy is!


This is Jilly Moose's blond moose. I don't know if Niko and Nenagh were very happy today, because I brought Niko to work with me but somehow forgot Nenagh. He used to come to work with me all the time to see her, but now that I've brought her home, they go everywhere together. Weird that they have the same taste in music... which is just the same as mine. Isn't it funny how that all worked out?


Famous Hat

No comments: