Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Mid-Week Band Practice

 

Today I went to my office after work to check on the plants. Most of my plants seemed fine, except for the big ZZ plant, which still looks overwatered even though it's been two weeks. Will it ever recover? Then I went to band practice because we didn't have it on Sunday, since I couldn't go, our leader couldn't go, and Hardingfele said why bother. She didn't come tonight either. We are playing at that annual Ukrainian picnic, so we are practicing klezmer, which I love. I'm not excited about the gig because we are playing for free (they offered to pay us, but Hardingfele said no) for half an hour before the official start of the picnic, so for the benefit of people setting up. We're not actually part of the picnic entertainment this year. Bongo the Chocolate Lab was there tonight, and he was as excited to see me as he used to be when he was a puppy.

Travalon had to work all day, but he does have photos from yesterday. First, some photos from the place off Fair Oaks. We've posted some of these before, when they were in the rail yard.











This is an abandoned caboose he found at Jefferson Junction.


Here's the junction.


Another view of the caboose.


The depot itself doesn't seem to be completely abandoned, since there's a pretty shiny grill outside of it.



Sunset over the tracks.








Hey! You're supposed to stay 25 feet from the tracks! Can't this deer read??




I did borrow someone's photo of how weird the sun looked a couple of weeks ago during all the smoke.


Our former neighbor saw Big Boy out in Colorado today. She sent a bunch of disjointed videos that I might put together at some point, and a couple of photos.



Though to be honest, I think our video is better because Big Boy was really tooting her horn. Since there weren't intersections where our neighbor was watching (she saw it in two different spots), Big Boy wasn't blowing her horn. The unusual sound of the horn is half the fun of the train, besides its immense size. I'm so glad we got to see her in person (train?).


Famous Hat

No comments: