Tuesday, November 21, 2023

My Brain on Irish: A Dialogue

 

Typical conversation between me and my tired, old brain during Irish class:

Me: Quick, what's the word for "old"?

Brain: Vieux.

Me: No, that's French. I need Irish.

Brain: I got... nothing.

Me: Come on, eight years of studying Irish and you don't know this word?

Brain: Maybe stop doing hours of French on DuoLingo. You pushed all the Irish out of me.

(Time passes.)

Brain: It's "sean."

Me: What? Oh, the word for "old" in Irish? I don't need it now. Is there an accent on the A?

Brain: An accent? You assume I care about accents.

Me: But they're two different words. When it's pronounced "shawn," it's Irish for "John." When it's pronounced "shan," then it's Irish for "old." But which one has the accent? The fada?

Brain: I don't do accents. We don't have them in English, and I refuse to acknowledge their existence. I don't do them in French either, remember? DuoLingo just reminds us to put them in, but it doesn't actually mark it wrong if we don't. So why should I care?

Me: Indeed.

And... scene.


Famous Hat


No comments: