Sunday, November 12, 2023

Slightly Better Game than Yesterday

 

This morning Travalon and I went to Mass in the gym again, and we saw Cecil Markovitch there. He asked if we wanted to go to a chicken dinner in the basement of the church where Masses will be held for our parish starting in December, but I wanted to see what Tiffy was up to. She had already eaten, and she didn't want to hike, but she said she'd be up for watching the Packers at the East Side Club, so we went there. I was wearing my church clothes, which aren't green and definitely don't have a big G on them, so I felt like a total dork. Jill joined us, and she was wearing Packer gear, which she said she wore to Mass. Guess I could have done that too. I was just relieved not to have temporary tattoos on my face.

The Packer game was better than the Badger game in that they kept our hopes alive for the whole game, even with three seconds left when they could have won with a touchdown if Jordan Love could get the ball into the end zone. He did... but the Steelers intercepted it, so game over. At least they tried. We knew the Badger game was over by the second half of the first quarter. Tiffy told me she hadn't had her phone easily available during the Badger game, so when I would text her something, she could only respond with suggestions from her Apple watch. When I said the game stank, one of her choices was "Facts," which I thought she said because on Friday night we'd been talking about current slang, and that was one of the terms that we discussed. It may have been a bad football weekend for Wisconsin, but Travalon was happy because the Premier League team he follows, the Wolverhampton Wanderers, won against a really good team yesterday, so at least he had that to hold onto. The rest of us had nothing.

I forgot to mention that yesterday at the bubble tea place, my sunglasses broke. Some guy in line behind me was so nice, he looked on his phone and found a nearby shop sold them, so I did go there and get a new pair. I like them a lot. It wasn't a huge shock that my old sunglasses broke, since the frame was already a bit broken in one spot. It just snapped right in half when I took them off.

I went for walks before and after Irish class, since we hadn't gotten much exercise watching the Packers. During Irish class, we played a game I have played at parties, and I'm not sure what it's called, but the first person would write the subject of a sentence, then fold over the paper so the next person wouldn't see it, and they would write the predicate of a sentence. Then the next person would get to read the whole sentence, and they would try to draw a picture of it. When I've done this at parties, everyone is drawing or writing, and then they pass the paper on to the next person to guess what their drawing is. I didn't think we could play this game on Zoom, but we played a limited version in Irish, and it was really fun. You can send private messages on Zoom, so one person sends the subject of a sentence and the second person sends the predicate, both to a third person who draws the picture, and then the rest of us guess what the picture is. I said "is drinking with the green horse," and the other person said, "The kitten," and the woman who drew the kitten drinking with the green horse did a fabulous job. I never actually got to draw, and when I came up with a subject ("a big tree and a little tree") and another person came up with the predicate "is driving the big bus," the person who was supposed to draw just found a photo of two trees behind a bus, so we were all confused. Come on, it's cheating to use a photo, and besides, those trees weren't driving the bus. I guess you could tell Artificial Intelligence to draw these goofy pictures, but the fun is in doing it yourself. I used to be a good artist, but somehow I have completely lost that skill. It seemed to disappear right around the same time my urge to read and write fiction did.

Today at band practice we practiced the hymns for the singalong. Somehow our leader found several songs that are familiar hymn tunes but with unfamiliar words. She said she wanted them to be less religious, which I guess makes sense for her, since she's a Unitarian. Some of us know these hymns from the Catholic or Lutheran churches, so it's confusing for us to sing a familiar hymn tune with secular words. It doesn't affect the fiddles so much, since they're exempt from singing, but since I'm playing mandolin, I have no excuse not to sing. I'll just have to remember not to sing the words I know to these tunes...


Famous Hat


No comments: