Monday, November 6, 2023

Zoet & Zout: Not What I'd Expected (i.e., Not Chocolate)

 

Today I worked on campus, and the first thing I saw in the break room when going to get some coffee was "Zoet & Zout," which looked like dark chocolate. However, to my horror, it was actually some sort of anise-flavored excessively chewy candy. (And, to add insult to injury, it's actually in my diet app and is a lot of calories. Shouldn't you be able to get a refund on calories for yucky food?) I warned people that it wasn't dark chocolate on the "water cooler" channel at work, and one coworker said, "Milk chocolate is better. There. I said it." I replied, "Heretic," and my boss said, "Them's fightin' words!" That led to a discussion of white chocolate, which I said was an oxymoron, "from the Greek for oxygen and stupid." Then I remembered my coworker was Greek, so I had to add, "Just kidding about the Greek," and she gave me a laughing emoji. Too bad my coworker who makes the worst dad jokes was on vacation today, because I'd love to hear what he had to say about all this.

This is an ornament I bought at a Christmas shop in Galena some time ago. I don't think I ever took a photo of it and posted it here.


These are the new rosaries I got at the Sauk antiques shop yesterday. The one on the right is a Divine Mercy chaplet/rosary. I forgot to mention that we went there. Sadly, it's closing due to a retirement, but they tell me there's a new one just down the road. 


And, in case you are curious, here is my photo of Blue Mound as seen from Cross Plains State Park back in October of 2017. You can see why I didn't originally post it.


I can also see why I couldn't find the original blog post. It was just a couple of sentences, as you can see for yourself here. If you don't feel like reading the entire blog post (since this part is at the end), here's a direct quote: "Then we went to a state park that is still a work in progress and hiked there. It had beautiful views of the surrounding hilly countryside." No wonder I couldn't find it with my searches! If I had known to search the term "hilly," then I would have found it right away, because only two other blog posts came up with that search.


Famous Hat


No comments: