Thursday, November 2, 2023

Super Boring Astrology Talk

 

Today was not an especially noteworthy day at work. The most interesting thing that happened was when I went to a college-wide meeting, and everyone was complaining about everything. One of the leaders said, "Is there anything that is going well?" so I said the grants administration team is very helpful, and everyone cheered. They probably agree with me, but maybe they were also happy that someone could see the bright side. I have been accused of being a bit of a Pollyanna, and people think I'm too bright and cheery... until they learn about my very dark sense of humor - or worse, my very dirty sense of humor.

For some reason I was invited over social media to attend a talk on astrology. The invitation didn't come from anyone I knew, but astrology is a topic of some interest to me, as my regular readers no doubt know. But if you can believe it, this guy took a relatively entertaining topic and made it so incredibly boring that I was falling asleep during this talk. It wasn't anything about how Capricorns are the sign most interested in politics, as I read recently (although in my case it could be genetic too, since I had a great-grandfather in Tammany Hall); no, it was really esoteric and just... huh? I would think that, at a minimum, the person giving the talk on astrology would say what their own sign was, but he didn't even pay us that courtesy. He had lots of diagrams of the sun's core wobbling in its orbit and stuff like that, but not one thing about how those of us with our moons in Leo secretly crave the spotlight. And he had terms I'd never heard of that he didn't bother defining, and if I've never heard them, I'm guessing most of the rest of the audience hadn't either. He said he had a Ph.D., but where does one get a doctorate in Astrology? Or was this from the School of Snooze? Maybe he was trying to make astrology seem like a hard-core science, so they could call it STEMA: science, technology, engineering, math, and astrology. This begs the question: if astrology is accepted as a real science, would their building get fixed up before the humanities ones? Asking as someone watching the math building, which is a twin of our Killer Building, getting fixed up when ours isn't because of course it's MATH and we're just a bunch of foreign languages in our building. Honestly, they should just tear them both down. I'd be happy to write a horoscope telling them to do it.


Famous Hat


No comments: