Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Photos of China Lights 2023

 

I had hoped to have a quiet morning at home today, but my boss was all, "Why don't you log in remotely?" Then Travalon had a medical procedure, and he said I should let my readers know that he got through it by thinking about classic cartoons. It was just a routine diagnostic procedure, he's not sick or anything, but they told us to come at noon and then it didn't happen until three. He was a little loopy afterwards, but he was making sense, just kind of giddy. We giggled a lot! Finally they let us go, and he was ravenous, so we went to Silk Road, a new restaurant right near Rich's house, because it was close and we were curious. I had Turkish dumplings, and he had chicken wing kebabs, and everything was really tasty. 

In the evening we went to the big church north of us for All Saints' Day Mass. They sang the psalm in D Phrygian, which was great, but most of the rest of the music was like Marty Haugan. Not my thing. There were so many people there! It's good that people actually go for the day of obligation. This morning I got a newsletter email that said "Happy Day of the Dead!" and I emailed back and said, "That's tomorrow," but then Google said the Day of the Dead is November 1 and 2... so shouldn't it be the Days of the Dead? I like tomorrow even better, because that's for all the people stuck in Purgatory. I have great empathy for them, since I will undoubtedly be spending plenty of time there myself.

As promised, here are photos from China Lights. The theme was "Under the Sea" this year.




























At this point, they seem to have dispensed with the theme:




















We had to walk into the mouth of a Tyrannosaurus Rex:




I'm hatching out of an egg!




This weird robot thing changed colors.



If you played the drums, it changed the lights on this tree:



I will try to do something with the volcano video soon, since it's very cool. Meanwhile, enjoy this photo Travalon took when he went to Le Tigre on Friday.


He tried to take some photos inside, but the lighting is very low, so they didn't turn out. The whole inside is decorated with tigers. In fact, Travalon donated a tiger to the cause some years ago. Imagine a dive bar where you can get beer in cans or cocktails, only full of tigers. Even a whole, real stuffed one!


Famous Hat

No comments: