Monday, November 7, 2011

Misadventures in Music: The Vivaldi Haters

This week on Famous Hat: a series about my misadventures with music.

The spring that I was eleven, I made a shocking discovery: a piece on one of my parents’ records that was attributed to Bach appeared on another one of their records attributed to Vivaldi! What could be going on? The Bach record did include this mystifying phrase: “Bach often borrowed themes from inferior musicians.” First of all, there’s borrowing a theme, and then there’s simply changing a violin concerto into a keyboard piece. Secondly, were they trying to say that Vivaldi, one of my favorite composers ever, was inferior?? This required action in the form of a strongly-worded letter addressed to “The Vivaldi Haters at XYZ Records.” Despite my annoyance, I wrote the note on floral stationery and ended with something like, “Peace, and have a good day.” I never received a reply, and to this day I wondered if anyone actually read my letter or if they all figured they didn’t hate Vivaldi, so the letter wasn’t addressed to them.

Famous Hat

3 comments:

Catherine Arnott Smith said...

Your letter probably got misrouted to a different company -- perhaps the Vivaldi Laters (Early Music outfit)? Vivaldi Hatters? (Italian headgear?) Vivaldi Maters? (Dating service for Baroque fans).

Famous Hat said...

Wow, that comment is like a blog post on its own. Maybe it will have to be expanded into one...

Hardingfele said...

But did you ever figure out the screw up????