Wednesday, November 21, 2012

This Post Is for the Birds


In honor of Thanksgiving, I am going to blog about birds and our tenuous relationship with them. We do seem to enjoy eating them a great deal, which may explain why when a pair of purple finches built a nest in one of my Christmas cacti this spring, they abandoned it after they saw me come out on the balcony. I wasn’t sure what to do with the nest, so it remains nestled by the side of the cactus, which does not seem to mind it and is blooming happily. How could I assure the finches that I would not disturb their nest when I happily eat their cousins all the time? I think birds still haven’t gotten over the fact that they used to rule the earth as dinosaurs, but then we upstart mammals started getting into their nests (mmm, eggs!) so they had to develop wings to get out of our way, and that meant they had to lose bulk. Now we rule the earth and they are just the pretty things that sing in trees on spring mornings/delicious dinner. If Hardingfele is reading this, I’ll bet the birds especially don’t like you, since your cats are always outside, even if you don’t eat turkey.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

Hey my cats have probably eaten 4 birds in the past 2 years, 2 of them being invasive and I can atone for that small snack by the fact that we are vegetarian and had a birdless Thanksgiving. I also have a yard with all native species (except for the cats) and do not mow, so overall I have an excellent bird habitat

Famous Hat said...

Sure, lure them in so the cats can get them. ;)