Today the weather was much more pleasant, so I could walk outside. Travalon came home for a bit around three, and we heard a train go by. Then he headed off to go swimming in Lake Mills and check out trains in Jefferson and Watertown, while I went to the monthly choro session once I was done with work. On the way, I was stopped by a train on the one track in town that doesn't belong to Wisconsin and Southern. I didn't see the engine (did see some great graffiti but couldn't get photos), so I can't say if it was Canadian Pacific (like the Holiday Train), but I'm guessing it was. I NEVER see trains on that track, so that was very exciting for me. Not so much for other people, who turned around and went another way, but despite its slow speed, the train did pass pretty quickly, and I was not late to the choro session.
Today we had the leader on guitar (and sometimes mandolin), the really good guy on mandolin, the young guy I recruited from the Slow Irish Session on violin, the music club owner and her employee on cello and bass, a new guitarist, and a new drummer. What a crowd! We sounded pretty good too, I thought. The leader asked if the other mandolinist and I wanted to try his mandolin, which has ten strings instead of eight, so we did. I didn't love playing it (couldn't figure out where my fingers were), but then I tried the other guy's mandolin while he played mine, and I did like his. But mine is still the best. I need to practice, but I am slowly getting better at the dozen or so songs that we always work on. We heard a train pass by while we were playing, and then afterwards when I was walking back to my car, I heard one in the distance. When Travalon got home, I said the one that went north by our house would come south tonight, and a little while later we did hear it pass by. That's a lot of train action today!
Speaking of trains, here are some screenshots of graffiti from videos posted on social media:

No comments:
Post a Comment