Monday, February 5, 2018

The Patriots Lost the Super Bowl!


I hope my readers had a good weekend. Friday Travalon and I cleaned for an hour again – just this simple routine is really making a difference! We rewarded ourselves by going to Sun Prairie for their Groundhog Day festivities. The actual festivities happen at the cruel hour of 7 am, when Jimmy the Groundhog sees or doesn’t see his shadow (this year he did), so we just had lunch at the local diner and enjoyed groundhog cupcakes. We also admired the statue of Jimmy, draped with Mardi Gras beads and a necklace depicting an ear, commemorating the time in 2015 when he bit the mayor’s ear during the festivities. We drove to Sauk and watched eagles again – our favorite winter activity! We went to the plant store, because I needed bug spray for a poor sick plant and a big pot for a plant at work. They had a really cool variegated prickly pear just like one we had seen at the Domes, and Travalon said he would buy it for me for my Valentine’s Day present. Then we had a quiet evening at home, playing Scrabble and watching a movie. Lately we have watched On the Town and The Producers. Travalon is on a big MGM kick.

Saturday Travalon and I met Rich, Jilly Moose, and OK Cap for coffee, then Rich left and Travalon went to the Veterans’ Museum while we ladies prayed a rosary. Travalon said there was a really cool exhibit at the museum on trench warfare during World War I, so Jilly Moose and I followed him back there to check it out. I also bought a little coral-colored stuffed narwhal on the way because it’s so cute and cuddly and is our wedding color. How could I resist it? In the evening the guys had a steak night at Samba, so I went to The Darkest Hour with Jilly Moose and OK Cap, and then Cali joined us for dinner at Pasqual’s. Alas, the men did not call us to join them after their dinner was over. The weather was pretty bad, so that’s probably why – it was a harrowing drive home.

Yesterday Travalon and I went to brunch at Crema Café, then since Fired Up is right there, I convinced him to join me there, and he helped me make a Cleveland-themed sun catcher for Rich and a fridge magnet with a mandolin on it for me. He scored even more husband points by taking me to the Olbrich orchid sale; we just looked and didn’t buy anything. We also went to the antiques mall on Cottage Grove Road to find decorations for Rich’s Cleveland-themed birthday party next weekend. How do you decorate based on the theme Cleveland? We’re not totally sure either, but we did find some stuff. I’m not sure where the line between “antique” and “junk” is after going to these antiques stores. We went to the Parched Eagle for the brewmaster’s birthday party and ate so much there that I didn’t really need dinner. In the end we did watch quite a bit of the Super Bowl, despite saying that we hated both teams. After all, isn’t anyone beating Brady a good thing? I love how when they asked the halftime performer who he wanted to win the Super Bowl, he responded, “Go Pack go!” Now there is a sentiment I can get behind! The Eagles did prevail after all, so finally someone has beaten the stupid Patriots. Yay!

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Travalon said...

It's great that the Patriots went down! A fun weekend despite the lousy very wintery weather. My MGM kick may become a longtime hobby. They have made tons of classic movies. It's fascinating that this studio was once the greatest and largest in hollywood during its golden age from the late 1920's-late 1950's with "more stars than in the heavens" under contract..Garbo, Tracy, Crawford, Gable, Garland,Astaire,Kelly..etc. then it greatly struggled financially throughout the 70's,80's and 90's despite producing
occasional hits, being bought and sold within every five years..leading to bankruptcy in 2010. I'm glad MGM still exists today even if its a fraction of what it was, and I hope Leo The Lion ( its' famous logo that I was very scared of as a kid) keeps roaring into 2024, which will be the studio's 100th anniversary.