Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Packer Cruise: Day Four


Today was a wonderful day in Cozumel. We went with about two hundred and fifty other Packer fans to an all-inclusive resort, where we ate and drank. They also had swimming and kayaks, like the resort Travalon and I had gone to in Costa Maya, but today was cooler so the weather was perfect for just sitting around and talking to Packers. We talked to a bunch of them, like Travalon used to see Gilbert Brown at his old job in the Milwaukee area, and when I told George Koonce that I collect stamps too, he gave me his business card and said we have to talk about stamps sometime. They were all so friendly, but none more so than Dave Robinson, who showed us his two Super Bowl rings and told us about playing in the infamous Ice Bowl. He said the practice the following week was even colder, and when the hot coffee froze, Coach Lombardi said practice was over. Then the Packer players and some fans participated in the Beach Olympics, while the rest of us watched them. First they did a sack race, then they did a tug-of-war, then they did a balloon toss, and of the six teams, the two with the highest scores at the end of all that played a game of beach volleyball. Naje Davenport's team won! It was such a great day. Travalon and I sat at a table with a couple of fans from Arkansas who were very friendly. I ended up buying a hat with the Green Bay G that says "Cozumel"; I'm sure my readers will be gobsmacked to learn that in Costa Maya I bought a rosary.

When we got back to the ship, Travalon and I looked for a hot tub not packed with college students, and we found only one. I started talking to a lady from Georgia as we sat in it, and when I said my fear was that at least three of these college students would have their IDs stolen, she said yesterday a girl walked back to the ship wearing only a tiny bikini - she had lost her ID, her clothes, and even her shoes. She also met a college boy who said, "I guess I'm staying here - they stole everything in my wallet." So that's two confirmed, which means a third is more than likely. I cringe watching how stupid these kids are in a foreign country, but you can't really say anything to them - would I have wanted some middle-aged busybody telling me what to do when I was a college kid? Hopefully nothing even worse happens to any of them, because they are drinking like I have never seen anyone drink before, and I thought Madtown was notorious for its drinking culture.

Here are a few pictures for you. This first one is from last night, when they had a recap of Super Bowl 31. It's a portrait of LeRoy Butler, the player who invented the Lambeau Leap.


This was a really interesting-looking ship. I couldn't tell if it was a passenger ship or a cargo one, but a Google search revealed in Spanish only for some reason that Transcaribe is a shipping company out of Cartagena, Colombia. So it is a cargo ship, but why with a French name and French flag colors? The mystery deepens...


The water off of Cozumel was so blue!


Here is a shot of the all-inclusive resort where the Packer Beach Party was. I thought I took some action shots of the Beach Olympics, but apparently I was too into watching them to take pictures. Travalon took some good ones on his camera, so once we get home I can post some.


Famous Hat

1 comment:

Richard Bonomo said...

At first glance I mistook your reflection for coral... :-))