Monday, April 2, 2018

Easter 2018: Invading First Congo


I hope my readers had a happy Easter. Travalon and I went to our church for morning Mass, since the choir was doing several pieces. One Randall Thompson piece has a single word in it: “Alleluia.” At practice a couple of weeks ago, I was trying to do it from memory, and when another alto told me I’d better look at the music, I retorted, “Why – am I getting the words wrong?” But I ended up singing soprano on it yesterday, so all that alto practicing was for naught anyway, and I definitely had to look at the music!

Travalon had mentioned that he would like to see the inside of First Congo, which surprised me since I have been to more or less six million concerts there over the years, so I had forgotten that he had not ever been in it. From the outside it is a beautiful edifice, and I assured him that inside it has a wonderful balcony. We drove there, and I saw some people going inside, so I figured their service was starting in a few minutes and we could sneak in and out in the general chaos of people arriving. We went in the side door, and a guy asked what we wanted, so we said we just wanted to see the building. He did let us go but seemed annoyed. We made the mistake of going out onto the balcony from the front… and nobody else was in the balcony, but the service was halfway through, and lots of people were downstairs, so they probably all saw us. Once Mr. Icon had told me that so few people go to First Congo that on Sundays they don’t use the main sanctuary but the side chapel, but I can tell you that it wasn’t true yesterday. The choir was singing, so we sat listening to their competent but not particularly interesting rendition of some modern piece, and then we left. Maybe not my finest moment, but anyway Travalon got to see the inside of the church.

Travalon and I went to visit his mother and bring her a chocolate bunny, then we went for a short hike, and then we went over to Rich’s for his big Easter dinner. Tons of people were there, including El Vegetariano, who was very interested in my First Congo story, especially the part where Mr. Icon said hardly anyone goes there. He and Mr. Icon are good friends, so he texted him, and so I had a semi-argument about who said what like ten years ago with a person on Kodiak Island. Ah, the wonders of modern technology. The fact does remain that First Congo can seat about 1200 people, and maybe 60 were there on Easter, so they are not exactly at the peak of their popularity at the moment. I don’t know if the UCC in general is thriving; it seems like a lot of mainline Protestants are struggling with attendance. Man, if you can’t be bothered to go to church on Easter, then what would inspire you to go? I suppose that is the Ten Million Dollar Question all the churches are wondering about.

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Travalon said...

The church wasn't too colorful but still very pretty inside. It reminded me of an early American or Colonial church in Virginia, or the Old North church in Boston made famous by Paul Revere's ride.