Thursday, July 23, 2009

Vengeance of the Mad Tuner

You can tell we are living in strange times when your friends realize you are desperately ill not because they haven't seen you in days, but because you haven't blogged in days. Still, I appreciate people contacting me to ask, "Are you still alive? You haven't blogged in two days!" The answer: yes, now; previously, barely. At Early Music Camp I seem to have caught an Early Music Virus, probably from all the people who arrived on airplanes because, as everyone knows, airplanes are the #1 cause of colds. At least for me they seem to be! However, a coworker wisely pointed out that, instead of blaming the planes, I should be looking closer to home - at the didgeridoo currently giving out good feng shui in the corner of my bedroom. After all, it sat out in a bin full of didgeridoos during the three-day street sale extravaganza, and since it was the most attractive one, maybe lots of people tried to play it. Who knows? Maybe it was from my "instructor," a white girl with dreadlocks and a decorative piece of translucent melon-colored plastic through her nose. Who can say what germs she might have carried?

Anyway, I am currently on the mend and pondering a new raison d'etre as the Scarlet Pimpernel of Tuning. After all, who would be better qualified? I already know how to tune pianos - wrong - so if I can master extended sixth-comma meantone, I can stealthily retune every piano I come across. Maybe then Beethoven will finally sound good! One of the most excruciating two hours of my life was attending a Beethoven Piano Concerto Contest, but all those people were playing a piano tuned to equal temperament, which was not a concept Beethoven would have been familiar with. He was long since deaf by the time anyone even proposed the idea, so he never had to hear his music played in such an awful temperament. Would that we were so lucky!

Famous Hat

No comments: