Wednesday, October 24, 2018

All Bach Organ Concert



Last night, as if I hadn’t already had a wonderful day, I got to go to a fabulous concert. Travalon did not want to go, since it was a concert of Bach organ works, but I ran into Pete the Sailor Man, and he got half price tickets for both of us. Know who else was there? My OTHER choir director! The organist was the teacher of the house organist at the Overture Center, and he was incredible. It’s hard to go wrong with Bach, and he picked some really amazing pieces. One was the Concerto in D Minor originally by Vivaldi, and that got me to thinking about how I used to listen to L’Estro Armonico, a collection of Vivaldi concerti, obsessively when I was in my early 20’s. My two favorites were this D minor concerto and one in A minor for four violins which I once saw performed live, and it was so much fun to watch the melody jump from player to player. There is also one in A minor for one violin that is a sentimental favorite of mine because I learned to play it at a very young age. Really, they are all beautiful. If you are a fan of Vivaldi, you will love every concerto in this collection.

Famous Hat

No comments: