Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Wellness Symposium at Work



The other day when I got off the bus, there were some people from the bus company handing out free sunglasses and surveys about bus usage. This was good news for me, since I had lost my sunglasses and was using a spare pair from Travalon. I filled out the survey, but all I could tell them is that the system works perfectly for me. Really, at the hours I come and go, the bus leaves every five minutes, and it goes directly from the place on the north side where I park to just in front of my building. It’s like they planned the route with me in mind.

Yesterday when I got together with someone else to practice Irish, he told a great story: years ago, he and some buddies read the book Iberia by James Michener, and then they followed Michener’s travels through Spain. They ended up in Pamplona for the Running of the Bulls, where they went to the cafĂ© that Michener said was his favorite – and there he was! So they got to talk to him, and this guy said it was like talking to a friendly neighbor, not a best-selling author. Michener is one of Travalon’s favorites, so he enjoyed this story when I told it to him.

Today I went to a health symposium at work. I saw several of my previous coworkers, but not Handy Woman, although she was there. First there was a keynote speaker talking about buy-in for health initiatives at work, then we had breakout sessions. I went to one on gratitude, then a drumming workshop that was really fun, then a short session on tasting chocolates from various places, and finally one on creating a planter. Now I have a pilea in a glass container. Of course, I have a pilea at home, but we were further back in line, so by the time we got to choose a plant, all the crotons and velvet plants were already taken. I also got a free water bottle for attending. Can you believe this counts as work time? Awesome.

Famous Hat


No comments: