Sunday, November 2, 2008

Southern Fried Post

I live in that strange limbo:  too far south for Tim Horton's, too far north for Waffle House.  My godparents once gave me some coupons for Tim Horton's that could only be used in the US, which is like giving someone coupons for Waffle House that can only be used in Maine.  Everyone knows Tim Horton's is in Canada and Waffle House is only south of the Mason-Dixon line.  You can tell you've left the South when you no longer see those yellow and black signs everywhere.

People will ask me, "Do you like (Chinese, Italian, Thai, Mexican, etc.) food?" and I say, "Take away that first word and you've got it."  However, I do have a special place in my heart for Southern food.  You have to love people who take healthy things like okra and collard greens and then deep fry them or add pork fat to completely ruin their nutritional value.  Not to mention taking something inherently evil like a Twinkie and making it even worse by deep frying it!  (I have never personally tried a deep-fried Twinkie; it's like gilding the lily, if lilies were utterly revolting.)  

The other day a friend and I went to a so-called "Southern" restaurant, and do you know they did not have okra OR collard greens on the menu??  Nor did they have turnip greens, mustard greens, or even grits.  At least they had corn bread and several things on the menu that contained sweet potatoes...  But no hush puppies!  What could be better than deep-fried balls of cornmeal?  Talk about a completely useless food item.  I LOVE them!!!

Once a coworker and I were speaking fondly of Southern food, and she asked me, "Did you used to date a black guy?"  She was surprised that a northern white girl would even know about such things.  Although I think calling us black and white is kind of silly, because even if I had the basic box of crayons, I'd still color her brown and myself pink, and if I had that deluxe box, she would be raw umber and I would be apricot.  I have actually never dated a black guy, although I have no problem with the idea.  I have just never been asked out by a devout Catholic black guy who could build a house from scratch.  If this sounds like you, and you can grill catfish, give me a call.  My sweet potato pie is out of this world!

Famous Hat

No comments: