Monday, December 1, 2008

Driving Me Crazy!

While I was visiting my family, I did something very terrifying: I let my niece drive my car. She turned 16 at the end of the summer and has her permit but not her license yet, so my mother mentioned how a really good auntie thing for me to do would be to take out the niece (let's call her Denise) (although she is technically Da Step Niece, not Da Niece) for some driving practice. I wasn't sure how much fun such an activity would be for me, or more importantly, for Erin Caitlyn O'Honda, but on Saturday I drove to my brother's house and handed Denise the keys after telling her the following story:

I have only owned two cars in my entire life. Sydney was 17 (older than you!) when I finally got rid of her. She was being held together with duct tape. (Denise: So are Mom and Dad's cars, and they are only five. Me: True... But I take care of my cars so Syd didn't get that way till she was 15 and a half.) When my friends finally made me get a new car, I cried when I said goodbye to Syd as she went off to a charitable organization to be fixed up by troubled teenage boys (like your brothers, only these boys have been caught). [Just kidding, I did NOT say that!] (NB: Sydney was in such bad shape that they just sold her at auction for parts.) This car is named Erin Caitlyn O'Honda. I love her very much. Please take care of her.

I must have made poor Denise somewhat nervous, because she nearly drove into the mailbox as her two younger brothers were watching out the window with great amusement. However, once she got out of their view, she proved to be an absolutely fine driver. She gave me a tour of her small town and drove me to the next small town over with no incident, and I have no doubt that she will pass her driving test.

My biggest concern now? That in two years her brother (Da Nephew!) will expect me to take HIM out driving! And somehow I don't expect him to be as kind to Erin Caitlyn O'Honda....

Famous Hat

No comments: