Friday, October 1, 2010

Fishy Dreams

Aquinas is all better! Richard Bonomo took it to the computer-fixing place and they fixed it for a tenth of what he thought it might cost him. However, there is still no explanation for why the Finale file I worked and slaved over got corrupted. It seems less likely that Aquinas ate it than that Finale ate it, so Rich emailed the file to Finale to ask if they could fix it.  Here's hoping the midi file still works...

Amminadab and Tallis the goldfish still get along famously, but I am wondering if Amminadab has acquired a fungal infection because about a week ago his upper lip turned black. He looks like a Groucho Marx fish! OK, minus the eyebrows and cigar, but I didn’t want to say he looked like a Hitler fish… Online some people contend that this is a sign of fungal infection while others say it is just a natural part of a fish’s development, that they may get darker areas as they age. Amminadab is around four years old, and I don’t have a good sense of how old that makes him in people years. Online nobody can agree on the average lifespan of a goldfish, with some people saying they can live for thirty years and other people saying their average lifespan is three days after you bring them home, in which case Amminadab would be ancient. He does not seem very geriatric. I am sort of disappointed that he and Tallis haven’t really gotten any bigger since moving into their Fish McMansion. I really thought by now they would be much, much larger.

Speaking of fish, I don’t know why mine keep inspiring strange dreams in my office mates. Amminadab has a bad habit of gobbling down his dry fish flakes, which then expand and press on his swim bladder, so that he is constantly floating on his side and looking like he is at death’s doorstep. Actually, he just has fishy constipation, and the cure for that is fishy laxative: raw peas! One day when Toque McToque was still my office mate, I made a comment about having to go downstairs to the cafeteria to get some raw peas from the salad bar (I put them in a ketchup cup and they charge me 3 cents), and she said, “You didn’t… squeeze him to try to get the poop out of him, did you?” I said, “What? No!” and she said, “Oh… I must have dreamed that last night.”

I thought that was a strange dream until Light Bright told me she hadn't noticed right away that Tallis has one orange eye, and then when she did, that night she had a dream that Tallis’s orange eye was growing bigger and bigger like a balloon, and then she realized poor Tallis was sitting on a burner on the stove and slowly cooking, and that was why her eye was swelling up. So what is it about my fish that inspires such violent dreams in my office mates? At least Toque was just trying to cure Amminadab by dreaming I squeezed him; Light Bright is cooking Tallis in her dreams!

Famous Hat

No comments: