Monday, March 16, 2015

Whale Watching and a Luau



Today was another relaxing day in Paradise. Travalon and I had a leisurely breakfast at a place called Slappy Cakes; their gimmick is that there is a griddle on each table, and you can make your own pancakes, but at that hour we did not feel alert enough to use a griddle on which all the instructions were written in Japanese. We just ordered the Hawaiian pancakes that the chef makes. Then Travalon went to the beach while I had a ukulele lesson. The resort pays for lessons, but the people who attended were either locals taking advantage of the free lessons or flight attendants who come to Maui often enough to attend lessons regularly. I was the only newbie, but because of my experience with the mandolin, I wasn't completely lost. We learned how to play important chords like C, D, and G, and then some songs to play with those chords. The lesson was outside, overlooking the ocean, and the teacher asked if it was anyone's birthday this week. I said my brother's, so he recorded me (and the rest of the class) singing and playing "Happy Birthday," then we sent it to my brother.

In the afternoon Travalon and I took a whale watching cruise. We did see lots of whales, including one female who got really close to the boat and then kept smacking the water with her tail. The captain didn't know if she was warning us not to get too close, but he thought it was more likely a warning to an overly amorous suitor, since it is mating season for the humpback whales. Travalon was very excited because in the town the cruise left from, there was a bar owned by Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac. We did go in there for one quick drink.

In the evening we went to a luau. This was a more authentic one than at the Polynesian Cultural Center, because they buried the pig and then had a big ceremony to uncover it. We ate all kinds of food, including poi, which is just as gross as everyone says, and of course that wonderful, succulent pig. Then they had a show featuring all sorts of Polynesian cultures, and I have to say that after this trip, I'm beginning to feel well-versed in the differences. I could now tell you if a dance were Maori, Samoan, Tahitian, or Hawaiian. When this knowledge may come in handy, one never knows. The show ended with a spectacular fire dance from Samoa, although honestly the whole thing was a crowd pleaser. People love those sensuous Tahitian dances and the funny faces the Maori warriors make during their dances. I love Polynesia!

Famous Hat

No comments: