Friday, April 24, 2015

Meta-Mystery of the Rosary


Maybe this would have been a better post for yesterday, because Thursday is the day we meditate on the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary, but I really wanted to put some more photos of Hawaii on the blog. Today I want to post just a brief reflection on the Third Luminous Mystery, which is the Proclamation of the Kingdom. When I first heard about the Luminous Mysteries, they all sounded so wonderful except for that one, and in fact they are still my favorite set of mysteries. (Is it OK to have “favorites” where prayer is concerned?) At first the third one bugged me, because it seemed so vague, but then one day it occurred to me: it’s a meta-mystery! Why isn’t the Multiplication of Loaves and Fishes a Luminous Mystery? It’s already contained in the Third one! What about the raising of Lazarus from the dead? Already contained in the Third one! And the Sermon on the Mount? It goes without saying that it is part of the Proclamation of the Kingdom. It’s a mystery full of mysteries – all of Jesus’s public miracles could be included in it, except for the Wedding Feast at Cana, which is already the Second Luminous Mystery. Now I think the Proclamation of the Kingdom is kind of the coolest mystery of all, because it gives you so much to meditate on. It just makes me love the Luminous Mysteries even more.

Famous Hat

No comments: