Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Mississippi Walk of Fame

 

Today was my first day back on campus in weeks, and now I'm too tired to make a movie of the videos Travalon shot of jellyfish and sharks. I went to a Bach concert on campus, and Kathbert sat next to me. It was a hard decision, because the temperature was in the low fifties so a walk at lunch would have been great. I don't have much more to say about the day, so I'll just post the photos Travalon took of the Mississippi Walk of Fame. He didn't take a photo of every star, but here is a sampling of famous people from the state of Mississippi.
















Did you notice anything about these names? I didn't until posting these photos. You would think there are no famous women from Mississippi, judging by the stars Travalon took a photo of, but I think that's because he's a man. If I'd taken the photos, you'd see women too. If Travalon, who is the least sexist guy I know, can fall victim to this subconscious bias, this explains why I see it all the time with men. I don't know why men are like this, like they prefer listening to male singers but women like both male and female singers. I thought about this when Travalon asked what Tiffy and I had listened to on our road trips back in the day, and I realized we listened to a lot of women singers as well as male ones, but he doesn't really. When he chooses a song, it's by a male singer. He's not alone in this, so it must be something in male psychology. I even read that men will not listen to Siri, the voice of the iPhone, when she's giving them directions somewhere because she's a female voice, so Apple created male voices for men to use on their GPS. That's one reason I prefer being a woman, because more of the world is open to me since I don't disregard the contributions of half of humanity.


Famous Hat 


No comments: