Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Confess

They say people don't go to Confession any more. What they don't say is where this place is, unless all the people who still go are following me around and rushing into line ahead of me. Because, seriously, I can hardly think of a time when there were less than three people in line ahead of me for Confession, and half-hour waits are not uncommon around here. So I really wish they would reveal the location of this mythical place where nobody goes to Confession, so that I could go there.

Ironically, people are not very kind when it comes to waiting in line for Confession. I have had more little old ladies actually cut in front of me in line than I could count on both hands even if I were Ann Boleyn! An observation, not a stereotype: little old Italian ladies are the worst about this. In Lourdes they kept cutting in front of us to get into the baths, and it got so bad that we weren't even moving in line, so we just gave up. At least in the confessional line, the timing is good, because then you don't have much time for that mortal sin: "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned, including plotting to kill a little old lady."

At my church there are a number of families who have about 600 children, more or less, and they ALL get in line for Confession. There's nothing like standing behind a bunch of tiny kids, knowing you could go straight to Hell if you died because your sins are so serious, yet you have to wait for all 600 of them to confess about how they didn't pray the Rosary yesterday and said No to their mother last Tuesday. And this is on regular Saturdays! On the First Saturday of the month, or during Lent, you can just forget about getting anywhere near the confessional. I once saw a line at my church (fortunately I was not in it; I was up in the choir loft, practicing music for Easter) and it snaked around one whole side of the church, and a bunch of people were still waiting in line two hours later when our choir practice ended. I think there should be two lines: one for us craven sinners who really need it, and another one for little kids and people who don't really have anything serious on their consciences but are just going for some devotional thing. They think they will skip Purgatory if they go every First Saturday - great, but if I'm going to Hell so you can skip Purgatory, how fair is that?

I have, as so many of us do, an Archirritant (Richard Bonomo says she is not my Archenemy), and she is right up on top of my list of causes for having to go to Confession. I pointed out to RB that it would be more economical, sin-wise, for me to kill her and then confess that, then to have to go to Confession every week because I was mean to her, gossiped about her, etc. He didn't think too much of that logic, and someone else pointed out that I would just find a new Archirritant. (Another example of my logic that caused RB to practically fall off his chair laughing: he said the federal government might print more money to help offset the latest economic crisis, and when I said, "So how is that different than some guy cranking out 20's in his basement?" he said - once he stopped laughing - that one is legal and the other isn't. I knew that, but abortion is legal and infanticide isn't, yet the only difference there is in one case the baby is in fluid and in the other it is in air.)

Speaking of abortion, just a quick reminder: half of all people involved in them die. I would think this would disturb feminists, especially since a great number of those people are being killed specifically because they are female. Yes, that is the #1 handicap that causes babies to be aborted in many parts of the world. As a TRUE feminist, I find this outrageous.

So please, if anyone out there knows of a place where nobody goes to Confession, let me know.

Famous Hat

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! I hate to admit it, but if you hang out with me you'll be in the place where no one ever goes to confession!

Yes, stop abortion! For me, the question is how. In 1998, the mortality rate in the US (for the mother) was something like .000006 percent. (CDC.) Way back when abortion was illegal, the mortality rate in New York was 25% (white women) to 50% (nonwhite women). (Guttmacher.) Since every abortion arises from an unwanted pregnancy, what do you think of this (see link) to reduce unwanted pregnancies and the mortality rate, both? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/20/AR2006112000964.html

Richard Bonomo said...

Regarding Estelle's remarks:
* I imagine the maternal mortality rate for abortion was probably higher pre-1973, but I suspect fewer women actually died because there were far fewer abortions being committed.
* I suggest you use CDC numbers for mortality estimates pre and post. The word on the street for a long, long time has been that the Guttmacher numbers for pre-1973 maternal deaths were made up more or less out of thin air. I seem to recall reading -- a long time ago -- a review of Guttmacher's numbers by someone who tried to trace back their statisics who found that the numbers quotes all referred to complete guesses either by other Guttmacher folks or by others who actually had no data, but who all had an interest in decriminalizing abortion.

Unknown said...

Agreed, it is hard to find statistics that are not produced by a group that already has an agenda.

Re: fewer women died, also agreed. But those that died were probably those with the fewest resources, since wealthier women could just fly to Britain or some other country where abortion was still legal and get it done there.

I guess the real issue is what should the government (and the rest of us) do to halt abortions?

Richard Bonomo said...

Actually, well-to-do women were having them right here, including attorney who represented Norma McCorvey (a.k.a. Jane Roe) not long after her own abortion. (If she were really interested in facilitating Norma having an abortion, she could have arranged it.) In fact my mother worked for the Mid-Hudson Medical Group in Fishkill, NY in 1967, which served a well-to-do clientele. They were doing (before NY decriminalized abortion in, I think, 1971) illegal and clandestine abortions then up on the 3rd floor of the building. My mom -- a lowly lab technician -- caused a bit of stir because she refused to deal with the instruments they used. The "back alley abortion" picture is true to some degree, but it is overblown. Many, if not most, abortions were probably committed by unethical physicians and medical personnel, then as now.

Regarding what the *government* can do to stop abortion: repairing the rent in our fabric of law place there by the Federal Judiciary by the -- to be frank -- criminal Roe vs. Wade and Doe vs. Bolton decisions. These decisions, besides being the product of judicial fantasy and being anti-constitutional per se, were (and stand as) crimes against humanity.

The Law is something only the government can fix, and this must be fixed -- pronto.

Thereafter throwing abortionists in jail and throwing the keys away will do quite a bit to stop abortion.

Regarding the humanitarian side of things -- helping women with crisis pregnancies --, that is something which the rest of us can do, and this is being done already by many groups, private and public. More can be done, but there is no substitute for self-discipline and strong family life.