Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Best Addiction Ever!!

Figure 1: The Mothership

Currently I am at Richard Bonomo's house, and he is talking to the Mothership while Kathbert is searching for the possibility of having a Sunday paper sent to her parents up in the North Woods, so I am seizing the chance to blog. I will keep this very short. Basically, I have finally developed the addiction I have always longed for - cleaning! It started as a way to work off some anger, but I enjoyed it so much that I just kept doing it. I have never been much of a housekeeper to begin with, and between being very busy and suffering a bout of anemia that sapped all my energy, I had really let things get out of hand recently. But here's the thing - once you start, the results are so rewarding that it becomes a positive feedback loop.

With five small animals in my condo, this addiction couldn't have come at a better time! (Unless it had started before my parents came to visit... but that would probably be too much to ask, and then what would my poor mother have to complain about?) Plus it has been miserable weather here in the Upper Midwest, with plenty of snow but too cold and windy to ski. (I was hoping to get some skiing in today, as part of my training for the mythical triathlon I plan to attempt, but Rich and Kathbert don't seem too enthused.) (Maybe tomorrow, since we all get Martin Luther King Jr. day off.)

Speaking of people named Martin Luther, remember that this is National Unity Week, so do your part for ecumenism. I did my part by singing at Our Lady of Perpetual Sobriety AND the Lutheran church down the road this morning. (Which was quite a sacrifice, since our Irish pal and his Catalonian wife, who live on the East Coast, are in town visiting, and I missed brunch with them to sing with the Prots.) I did get to see the Leprechaun, whose birthday is today (and his wife's was last week, and of course mine was three weeks ago), so it wasn't a complete sacrifice for the cause of Christian Unity, but it was something. Let's all do our part!

Famous Hat

No comments: