Thursday, August 20, 2009

Interviewing the Office Mates

Two of Famous Hat's Office Mates

Last month we were forced to attend a session regarding "Respect in the Workplace" or some nonsense like that, and the follow-up session will be today. Our homework assignment was to interview three "team members" for their answers to the following questions. I ignored this assignment until the 3,487th email reminder to do it, so then I finally "interviewed" my three office mates: Toque, Arphaxad, and Amminadab. (Meaning I made up what they might have said.) Then I emailed it to Toque, who made up answers for me. (n.b. "Toque" is pronounced "Tuke" as in rhymes with nuke and puke, and it refers to a winter hat. Since my human office mate is part Canadian, that is the kind of hat she chooses to be.) So everything below credited to Famous Hat was written by Toque, and everything credited to Toque, Arphaxad, or Amminadab was written by me. Confused yet?

Here is my summary of my interview with three office mates:

What values, beliefs, and principles do we share in this research team about:

(1) the work we do?

Toque: We want to do a good job.
Famous Hat: We strive to get work done in a timely manner
Arphaxad: It's important for everyone to pull his or her own weight
Amminadab: No matter what your position on the team, you have to respect what others do, even if you don't understand their roles completely

(2) how we treat each other?

Toque: We should respect one another
Famous Hat: We should support each other and help each other when possible
Arphaxad: We can all learn from our differences
Amminadab: Always follow the Golden Rule to treat others as you want to be treated

(3) how we treat those we serve?

Toque: We need to keep the lines of communication open
Famous Hat: We should be warm and welcoming
Arphaxad: It's important to remain courteous even when the other person is not
Amminadab: Always keep cultural differences in mind - one culture's rudeness is another one's friendliness - and again I think the Golden Rule applies here too

I'll tell you how the follow-up session went later, if there's anything to tell. What I am most excited about is the cookies.

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Famous Hat said...

I was very proud to see Arphaxad and Amminadab's ideas posted prominently during the class, as were mine and Toque's. Then again, I get the feeling only three other people did the assignment. The cookies were delicious, but the best part was when they were handing out plastic leis, and I said, "Hey - we're gonna get laid!" and the moderator said, "Yes, everyone is going to get lei'd" like she had no idea it was anything suggestive.