Wednesday, July 14, 2010

In the Court of Crimson Kanye

My mom had this record around the house when I was a kid called In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson, which opened with the song "21st Century Schizoid Man." Imagine my surprise yesterday when I heard the new song by Kanye West, and it sampled this 60's group of white art rockers! But that was not the end of my surprises. When I mentioned this story to people at Early Music Camp, they had never heard of King Crimson, so I said hip hop guys are more likely to sample P-Funk... and they had never heard of George Clinton! But when I told my music history teacher about this, he was horrified because he loves funk too. He used to play trombone in a funk band, before specializing more in sackbut. He also admitted that Lady Gaga is his guilty pleasure. So not all Early Music geeks are narrow-minded about music!

Famous Hat

No comments: