Thursday, June 2, 2011

Constructive Criticism

My direct supervisor expressed surprise at my annual evaluation that I can take criticism well from some people but not, for example, from her.  I was saying to Toque McToque that I wasn't sure how to explain the difference in presentation and content to her (my supervisor, not Toque), and then it occurred to me that a flowchart might be just the thing.  So here is "Constructive Criticism for the Clueless Supervisor":



I hope you can read that.  I made it as big as possible but it still looks kind of small.  Basically it asks if the criticism is valid, if it is constructive, and if it is of behavior or personality.  Oddly, I find that I can tolerate valid, constructive criticism of my behavior far better than any criticism that is false and/or useless and/or of my basic personality.  Maybe you are the same?  Feel free to use my handy flowchart.

Famous Hat

No comments: