Thursday, June 16, 2011

Love and Rioting in Vancouver

On more than one occasion, a huge news story that happened far away touched me on a personal level.  I was a schoolgirl during the Chernobyl nuclear accident, and our class had penpals in the nearby city of Prypiat.  Mine was a boy named Viktor.  We never heard from them again; I hope they were just evacuated and didn't die or something.  Viktor, if you happen to be reading this, drop me a line.

Then there was the morning of Tuesday, September 11, 2001 when I came to work and heard about the World Trade Center.  To the rest of my coworkers, it was a tragic but distant story, but my uncle worked at the World Trade Center so I was frantically trying to get a hold of him.  Turns out he had a doctor's appointment that morning and was nowhere near the disaster, but it was a scary couple of hours.

And now that they are rioting in Vancouver because the Bruins beat the Canucks, I have a reporter at the scene.  OK, Toque McToque may be in the city, but she wisely avoided all the insanity.  I think this photo*, which is all over the internet (I borrowed it from Huffingtonpost.com) sums up the Vancouver riots better than any first-person narrative anyway:


Because what could be more romantic than your city going up in flames?  That's the best aphrodisiac of all!  And they say Americans are crazy...  Hey, at least we can beat Canadians at hockey.  So there.

* As far as I know, that is not Toque and her hubby in this photo.

Famous Hat

3 comments:

Hardingfele said...

This begs for a torrid romance novel scene. The flames of rioting singed their hair and the acrid stench of burned rubber seared their nostrils. They were caught between the crazed crowd and the cops in riot gear. But their love could not be denied, etc etc

Famous Hat said...

Not even a loss in the hockey playoffs - to the US, no less - could quench their passion.

Famous Hat said...

Update: It seems the girl in the photo was actually injured, and her boyfriend was comforting her. So it is more touching than torrid.