Monday, March 20, 2017

The Badgers Beat Villanova!!


I hope my readers had a good St. Patrick’s Day. I met Jilly Moose and OK Cap at Brocach right after work, and we were later joined by Cali and another friend who doesn’t have a name yet on this blog, the one who was around before I was blogging and just recently came back to town. Sooner or later I will think of a good one for her… We were at a table for four, so Cali had to sit on the side, but the table next to us for two was free, so we wondered if we could just move it over, especially after Travalon joined us. They said they had a waiting list for that table so no, but it sat empty next to us the rest of the evening so we just kind of moved it over anyway. We debated about going to the Harmony Bar to hear a live band that we had heard the Sunday before, but we were having so much fun talking that the evening got late and we all just went home.

Saturday Travalon and I met Rich, Jilly Moose, Luxuli, and another woman for coffee, and soon Prairie Man joined us. Travalon went off to watch the high school basketball tournaments, and we Rosary Ladies prayed a rosary, then we met Travalon at the Union to watch the Badger basketball game. Was that ever exciting! At the last moment we beat the highest ranked team in the country, Villanova, and instantly broke almost half of the brackets out there. I am very happy because I want our players Koenig and Hayes to look really good so they will be drafted by NBA teams. Koenig would be the first member of the Ho-Chunk Nation in the NBA, as far as I know, and Travalon said he might be too short for them to look at him, but he hits a lot of three-pointers… just like Steph Curry, who is even shorter but is arguably the best player in the NBA. Then I met some other friends for what one called a “vegetable-forward” dinner at Everly, a new restaurant not far from where I work. We ordered all the vegetables on the menu and oysters Rockefeller for appetizers, and I had delicious curry squash with forbidden rice for my main course. Travalon, meanwhile, met an old friend for dinner at the Journey, the pan-Asian buffet he loves. He did join some of us later for a drink.

Yesterday Travalon, Cecil Markovitch, and I had coffee right after Mass, and Cecil bought me a red rose from a street vendor. Then Rich had brunch at his house for the first time in ages, and Travalon and I brought pastries from the Mexican grocery store down the street from him. The weather was finally beautiful, so Travalon and I took Rodney the Poodle and went to Indian Lake Park for a hike, but it was so muddy that we didn’t get far. We drove up to Lake Wisconsin and stopped into the Thirsty Moose for a snack and a drink, then we took the ferry across the river and went up to a county park that turned out to be a couple of picnic tables by the side of the road. Since I hadn’t gotten all my steps yet, we watched the first episode of Roots: The Next Generation after dinner so I could walk while watching it. We also caught parts of various college basketball teams. If you live with Travalon, you can’t help but be caught up in the excitement of March Madness! Especially when the Badgers are in the Sweet Sixteen again!!

Famous Hat

No comments: