Thursday, May 9, 2019

Miserable May (So Far)



Usually May is my favorite month, with the beautiful weather and the blooming flowers. This May has been horrible, all cold and gloomy and wet. Also, for some reason the Mother’s Day stuff seems to be really in my face this year. This is painful for me on two levels: I always wanted to be a mother myself, and I would love to have experienced the unconditional love, unending devotion, and staunch support that these emails claim everyone gets from their mothers. My personal experience with a maternal unit can be summed up in this brief story: when I was a preschooler, she taught me to play checkers and beat me every time. At some point in kindergarten I finally understood the game and beat her once… and she would never play with me again. Do they even make cards like that? “Thanks for teaching me to fail just enough to make you feel superior, but not enough to embarrass you. Not that it mattered, because no matter what I did, I was wrong so that you could take out all your frustrations on me.” Never seen that card. Let The Golden Child send the cards about “maternal love and devotion,” since he seems to have actually experienced it.

But there is something wonderful about this month, because tomorrow Travalon and I will have been married for five years – the happiest five years of my life! More about that tomorrow.

Famous Hat


No comments: