Monday, May 20, 2019

The Honor of Working Together



I hope that my readers had a good weekend and got a chance to get out and enjoy the blossoms all around us. I sure did, as you can see from my previous post. If you are wondering about the post with the redbud seedling, it is from 2011 and is here, so you can see this redbud is eight years old.

Friday evening Travalon and I got fish fingers to go at Mariner’s and then came home to watch the Bucks game. They got ahead of Toronto and never fell behind the entire game. One of my coworkers is of Greek heritage, and she says there is a word in Greek that has no English translation but means something like “the honor of working together.” I think of that now when watching the Bucks, since Giannis is from Greece and so may be familiar with this concept. I like to think the word applies to the way the whole team works together.

Saturday Travalon and I met Rich and Tiffy for coffee, then he left to visit his mother and hang out in Milwaukee for the day while the rest of us went to the Globe for lunch. Tiffy and I spent hours at Olbrich Gardens, then we picked up Rich and went to the Arboretum. I wish I could post the scent of all those blooming lilacs and crabapples on this blog. In the evening the three of us met a bunch of other Slow Food people for dinner at a new French restaurant called Merci. We loved the escargots, the pheasant soup, and the French bread, but the main courses were nothing too exciting. Of course, they were out of lamb, which is what Rich really wanted. He says he will have to go back when they have it.

Yesterday a bunch of us had coffee after Mass, then Travalon, Tiffy, and I went to a new Korean restaurant called Mr. Kimchee. Not only was the food delicious, but the waitstaff were really friendly and helpful. Then we had bubble tea with her niece and her niece's boyfriend. Travalon and I went for a hike on Governor’s Island, then we checked on my garden plot, and so far my radishes are coming up, but no sign of the carrots or herbs. I still have a ton more seeds to plant, if the weather ever cooperates. We were going to watch the Bucks game with Cali, but she canceled, so we just stayed home to watch the heartbreak of the Bucks losing in double overtime. It would have helped if they hadn’t turned the ball over twenty times… Hopefully they can pull it back together for Tuesday’s game. Fear the Deer!

Famous Hat


No comments: