Sunday, July 23, 2023

Niko's (and My) First Slow Irish Jam

 

Today we went to Mass downtown again, and if the powers that be were trying to kill that particular Mass off by making it bilingual, it backfired. Today there were more people than ever, way more than when it was an all-English Mass. Afterwards a bunch of us went to Inn on the Park for brunch, then it was very hot, so Travalon suggested we go to Pheasant Branch to hike in the shade. We went out to look at the beautiful vista of the hill apparently created by First Nations people. (This photo is from last year; this year, because of the drought, the water is really scummy.)


After we had walked for an hour in that section of Pheasant Branch, we drove to another section and walked for another half hour. We headed home, and I took this photo of my black calla lily blooming. It looks more purple this year; in the past, it has been truly black.


Travalon headed off to hang out with his high school buddy while I went to the Slow Irish Jam. I had mentioned it to the whole band, since it's at the same time as our band practice (and my Irish class, but my teacher thought that was a worthy reason to play hooky), and Hardingfele said, "We're pretty experienced. We should go to the Medium Irish Jam." I said, "Remember when we went to that Body Pump class at the health club, and I took small weights because I'd never done it before, but you took really heavy weights and then the next day you said, 'If I ever suggest going to that class again, shoot me!'?" But she didn't remember. I wasn't sure if any of my bandmates would show up, but they all did, and even Hockey Girl was there! I asked if she had come to hear us, but she had brought her flute to jam. My bandmates all scrambled to find the music, but I tried to play by ear and really enjoyed it. This is because Ma and Pa Hat had the foresight to give me Suzuki violin lessons, where you learn to play by ear, while all my bandmates learned from playing written music. I'm not sure if they will want to come back, but I sure do! I brought Niko with me, and it was the first Slow Irish Jam for both of us. I am definitely not ready for the Regular Irish Jam, which happens in Cambridge and is at a breakneck pace, and I guess they're annoyed if you don't really know the tunes. Yup, not ready. Maybe after a year of these Slow Irish Jams, I'll be ready.


Famous Hat


No comments: