Thursday, July 13, 2023

Ode to Niko

 

This morning as we drove to work, Travalon and I were listening to Charlemagne Tha God talk about the Donkey of the Day, and today it was Google for putting up a picture of Luther Vandross as some rapper, which shows they can't tell black people apart. That got me wanting to listen to Luther Vandross, so I put on "Till My Baby Comes Home," and then Spotify played more soul music. As we got to my building, it was playing "More Love" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, a song he wrote for his wife because she had suffered so many miscarriages, and the line "I'll be beside you every step of the way" really got to me because I hadn't heard the song in years and hadn't sung that line since being with someone I want to be beside every step of the way. I thought I'd be the only person on my floor, so I got off the elevator singing "More Love"... and some guy came out of the copy room and asked me if I knew how to change the copy ratio. (Answer: no, but I'm a clever monkey and quickly figured it out.) He didn't say anything about my singing, but maybe he didn't care either way, as long as I could solve his issue.

It was very quiet today, but I did get to talk to my colleague. We were going to talk tomorrow afternoon, but she has to be on campus, and she doesn't have her own office. I LOVE my office with a window - overlooking the Carillon, no less! It was not a very exciting day to blog about, so it must be time for another terrible poem:

Take a peek, oh

At my Niko.

My little plushy heart,

We're never far apart.

He's soft and indigo,

He goes where I go.

Sometimes he's jewelry

And I look like a fool, see,

Or he hides in my purse

And inspires this verse.

With his one eye,

He watches balls go by,

And when he's in the crowd

The team will end up proud.

Is he a good luck charm, a

Bit of happy karma?

Does he help me see

With more clarity?

That's why I speak, oh,

About my Niko!


And it's never a bad time for some DuoLingo bragging!



Famous Hat

No comments: