Friday, July 7, 2023

Niko's First Baseball Game

 

Today I worked from home, and the guy came to clean our dryer vent, but he couldn't because there's a tear in the tube that goes outside. He said our vent was cleaner than our neighbors' but he can't clean it or the tear might get worse. He said they should all be replaced with steel pipes, but this would be a big outlay when we are getting new roofing and siding, so it will have to wait. He said eventually all our neighbors' tubes will tear too, so someday we have to do this, but it's not an emergency... yet.

After work my neighbor and I played pickleball again, then Travalon came home, so he took over for our neighbor, but he didn't love it. I really like it. Do I like it better than tennis? Hard to say - it's really fun, but so is tennis. I'm just going to call it "tennis" on my labels because it's not entirely clear that I'll be playing a lot of pickleball in the future. My neighbor is moving, unfortunately, probably because her next-door neighbor is crazy, although she did say she would come back to visit now and then, and we could play then. If Travalon doesn't really like pickleball, then it's unlikely that I can talk him into buying our own set of paddles and balls. 

Here is a photo my neighbor took of me today with the clematis. She wanted to take a better one than yesterday.


Then Travalon and I went to a Mallards baseball game, despite the forecast of rain. (I didn't talk to Tiffy because she was also at a baseball game, the Brewers versus the Cincinnati Reds.) I wore Niko, who has seen two soccer games but has not yet seen a baseball game, and we got good seats right behind home plate. It did start to rain in the second inning, but it was just kind of a drizzle, and we were under a bit of a roof so we didn't get very wet. I was just so happy to get rain! It only rained for about an inning and then sprinkled again in the fifth inning, but that couldn't dampen our spirits because the Mallards got THREE home runs and were up 14-0 at the top of the eighth. Travalon said he hoped the Kenosha Kingfishers would get at least one run, and a lady behind us said the same thing, and then they got their wish because in the eighth inning the Kingfishers got four runs. Yikes! But in the top of the ninth, the Mallards quickly dispatched with them and won 14-4. What a great game! Besides cheeseburgers and fries, we also indulged in old fashioned slushies (which I thought were from the World's Largest Old Fashioned that they made at a recent Mallards game, but they tell me they were made fresh today) and nachos that came in a plate that looks like Home Plate. As always, I got a lot of staircases today from running up and down the stairs in the stands. Niko must be good luck, at least in person, because when he watched the Forward at Breese Stevens, they won definitively too. Maybe I should bring him to a Badgers basketball game...

Another neighbor texted us during the game to say the power was out at our place and all over the Northside, which seemed odd because the power was fine at the Mallards game not too far from our house. As we drove home, however, we saw a lot of houses were dark, and in our immediate neighborhood they all were. The power is still not back on, so we are sitting on our porch with our camping lantern on, and I am blogging by using Boethius's battery and accessing the internet by using my iPhone as a hotspot. They said it would be back by 11:30; I would just go to bed, but we have no running water, so I can't shower or even brush my teeth. Maybe I can kind of brush my teeth with a bottle of water from the fridge... First World problems, man. Lots of people all over the world live without electricity. Travalon just said, "It's like living in the 1800's." Wait, hold the presses - the power is back on and it's only 10:45! They are 45 minutes ahead of schedule! So now life can go back to normal.


Famous Hat


No comments: