Today was beautiful and just about the perfect temperature. Travalon and I went out in the boat, and we collected some more lotus seed heads, four for Seabird and one for me. It was a real foraging day for me, because I ate the lotus seeds and also some crabapples from my favorite tree, which has produced a bumper crop this year. When I was a kid, I went to a summer class at our local nature center on foraging, and at the end we prepared a whole meal from foraged food. I'm not an expert by any means, like the Staff Forager employed by our town's swankiest restaurant, but I have foraged morels and crabapples and lotus seeds. What I'd really love to get at is the lotus root - if you slice that and fry it up with salt, it's like a potato chip, only even better. But it's deep under water, so not that easy to get at.
Travalon got his gift card for doing wellness stuff on Monday, and by Wednesday he had 74 cents left. His first from-me to-me present arrived today.
Tonight he felt like going to the arcade bar, so he was happy to give me a ride to pagode practice. I do feel remedial there, because the other people are all percussion majors or have master's degrees in it or have played with the Brazilian drum group for years... or all of the above. Still, I love the rhythms, and all the women seem welcoming, even if they're all younger than I am - some by quite a bit. Tonight we had a cavaquinho player, and we sang, so that was a lot of fun. We actually sounded like we were playing pagode and not just messing around on random percussion instruments.
Look at that - it's time for some DuoLingo bragging!
Here are some screenshots from Travalon's train videos in Portage.



No comments:
Post a Comment