Saturday, January 15, 2011

National Hat Day!!!

I don't know how I, Famous Hat, could have been unaware of National Hat Day for all this time, but it only came to my attention yesterday (thanks, Cakewrecks blog!) that January 15 is National Hat Day.  In my dotage I have given up some of my crazier hats, like my Jughead hat and my Mad Hatter hat, but I still have quite a collection.  (And yes, I do find occasions to wear them all.)

First of course is my Famous Hat, which someone gave me after Mass one day years ago.  She had gotten it from another friend, who had gotten it from someone else.  Apparently nobody wanted Famous Hat!  I think it is a great summer hat.  (It didn't come with the flower; I added that.)


Here is another summer hat, one of the oldest hats I have - and it is reversible!


And here it is reversed.  It's like two hats in one!


Here is the hat I have had for the absolute longest, since I was a little kid.  I remember wearing it in third grade when I dressed up as an artist for Halloween.  No idea where it originally came from.


Here is another beret; this one I got in college at a used clothing store, and it supposedly belonged to a German soldier.  It even says "Schubert" inside of it, written in marker.


I used to have a black beret too, which I got in the Basque area of Spain the summer I lived there, but one winter I lost it.  I looked everywhere for it, including the health food store.  They didn't have it in their Lost and Found, but they did have this beautiful purple velvet bucket hat.  When I said how lovely it was, the guy said, "Do you want it?  It's been here for a year."  I added the fleur-de-lis pin, which I got in New Orleans.


This is the hat I wear now that it is so cold, my genuine Scottish tam made of mohair.  Alas, I have never been to Scotland; I got this at Cornish Fest in a small town not too far from home.


And I have never been to Ireland either, but this linen Easter bonnet was supposedly handmade in Ireland by a woman named Mary.  I got it at an Irish store in Chicago.


Speaking of Irish... OK, this hat has no real connection to Ireland other than its color.  I bought it at a hat store downtown, and the pin (which used to light up) is from a former coworker.


If you can stand it, one more Irish connection:  I got this flapper-style hat at Irishfest.


I got this paisley velvet hat at another festival, Summerfest.  But it's more of a spring or fall hat.


I got this mortarboard from my alma mater when I graduated.  They also gave me a piece of paper, but not at the actual graduation ceremony; it came in the mail later.


This bucket hat didn't actually come from my alma mater, despite the big W on it.  I got it for signing up for a credit card.


Here is another hat of the same type, which Bella Maryella left me when she went off to become a nun in New York City.  She also left me an electric mandolin and a hedgehog.  This hat is so beat-up looking because I wear it at the swimming pool.


This is a winter hat I have had since college.  It used to be more derby-shaped, but now I think it makes me look kind of like Mushmouth from "Fat Albert."


I got this hat at our minor league baseball team's game when they were dressed in old-fashioned uniforms.  It is supposed to look like the hats they would have worn at the turn of the previous century.  Then, at a later game, I got all the team members to sign it.


I bought the Seafoam Chinese Rice Paddy Hat up by the Apostle Islands, when we were visiting Tiffy's parents one Labor Day weekend.  I needed a hat for boating that was waterproof, wide enough to keep the sun off my face, and could be tied on so it wouldn't blow off.  This hat fit the bill perfectly.


Technically this isn't a hat, but Rockstar Tailor was decorating and selling styrofoam visors last summer, so I bought one from her.


And this is what it looks like when you wear a cuddly rosary as a hat.  Now you may be asking yourself, "How do I get a cuddly rosary?"  Stay tuned!  I will address this burning question in a subsequent post.


Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele and Plysj said...

This is almost like cat in the hat. You have little cat A and B, C, etc. How about a Bunny or a Vinny hat

Famous Hat said...

I never had a rabbit hat, just a Mad Hatter one.