Monday, May 13, 2013

Beer Week


Were you aware that last week was Craft Beer Week here in Madtown? I found out toward the end of the week, so on Friday night after a fish fry at Crandall’s, Travalon and I went to the Malt House for their Beer Week special: low prices on dark beers! I had a dark chocolate stout from Belgium, and I also tried a Belgian raspberry beer. Yum! We also went to One Barrel Brewing Company, Madtown’s only nanobrewery, which had a Sweet Mullets Tap Takeover for the day. We tried OBBC’s flagship brew, the Commuter Kolsch, as well as Sweet Mullet’s sour beer Toil ‘n’ Trouble, which was amazing. Of course, everything they brew is amazing.

Saturday I worked in Rich’s garden along with his next-door neighbor, and I mowed down a bunch of blooming dandelions before they could become fuzzballs and spread the joy. It was mostly a beautiful day, but random little rain showers and even a shower of tiny hail would come out of nowhere as the sun was shining. Rich has a tulip blooming which has two flowers on one stalk, which I have never seen before. I will try to take a picture of it to post here. Meanwhile, Rich and Kathbert were running a futile errand to find struts for Rich’s car, then he made dinner for the four of us.

Yesterday I drove to Travalon’s place and we went to see his mother for Mother’s Day. I brought her a pink gerbera daisy to celebrate the holiday, and Travalon’s sister-in-law had brought her a yellow calla lily, so her garden will be very colorful this summer. The three of us took a drive to Bayview, then Travalon and I went for a walk by the lakefront, and then we went to an English pub in Shorewood called Three Lions. We ordered a giant pretzel, which was HUGE (it came in a pizza box), and I had the pie sampler while Travalon had the curry chicken and chips – both were delicious. I had a Speckled Hen beer and a wonderful ginger beer too. I highly recommend this pub if you are an Anglophile, or even if you just like good food and drink. They even have Abita Pecan beer, but they were out last night, so I didn’t get to try it. Oh well, it’s an excuse to go back… and Indulgence Chocolatiers are not even a block away! They were closed last night, so now we have multiple excuses to return.

Famous Hat

No comments: