Thursday, May 2, 2013

Have Amaryllis, Did Travel


Ma Hat once gave me two baby amaryllis plants that grew off her big one, and during the summers I left them outside in Richard Bonomo’s garden. In the winter I brought them in to bask in the southern exposure glory of his atrium area, and one of them produced a bud recently. I decided to bring it to work to bloom, since leaving it at Rich’s house would be a waste – he’s too busy to look at plants – and I’m rarely at my own place enough to enjoy it there. The problem was that the weather was cold until the bud was so large and unwieldy that I was terrified it would fall off as I slowly drove the plant home. Of course I had forgotten my office key, so I had to bring the amaryllis on the bus the next morning. It survived all this abuse and is now blooming happily in my office. Here is a photo:


And here is a view of it with the sun star plant behind it:


These shots were taken on my cell phone. I will have some better ones from my actual camera once I upload those photos.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

Beautiful Amaryllith, says Winthrop from the music man!

Famous Hat said...

Thank you! It is fading now.