Thursday, August 28, 2014

Weight: I'm So Irate


Weight is a mysterious thing. For example, mine keeps creeping up slowly over the years, although I lost fifteen pounds pretty quickly by totally cutting out carbs just before meeting Travalon. After meeting him, I gained it all back and then some. So as my regular readers know, right now I am on a “health plan” that includes getting 500 extra calories’ worth of exercise a day, eating even more fruits and veggies than I had been, and only eating dessert once a week. I’d been sticking to this pretty closely but my weight just hovered around the same number, barely going down at all. To add insult to injury, Travalon did some of the stuff I did, like often exercising with me, but certainly not all of it, and he is visibly losing weight. Everyone is commenting on it. When I complained about this to Handy Woman, she said, “You can’t compare yourself to a man. They just lose weight more easily.”

So, per my last post, I was on vacation recently and kind of missed my goals most days. If there was any justice in the world, eating dessert three days in a row should have as little effect on my weight as weeks of intensive exercise has, but of course not: I gained eight pounds. According to my health plan, I was supposed to lose ten pounds in eight weeks; now I only have three weeks left and have to lose eighteen pounds to make my goal. The coworker of mine who told me about enrolling in the health plan in the first place is bemused that I am even bothering to follow it, since we get paid $150 in Visa cards just for enrolling. This is what I get for trying to be proactive about my health and actually follow the plan. Seriously, before being on it, I did not gain eight pounds from three days’ worth of desserts. Richard Bonomo would say it’s probably just water weight, but the health plan doesn’t exactly help with that, since it says I should drink six glasses of water a day. Maybe that’s my problem…

Famous Hat

No comments: