Thursday, February 12, 2015

Time Capsule Movies


Last night Travalon and I went to see Breakfast at Tiffany’s, which I had never seen before. It is one of his favorite movies, and Audrey Hepburn is very stylish in it, but Mickey Rooney’s Japanese character is something else. It reminds me of a friend almost a generation older than I am, whose high school put on a play with “colored” characters, and the one actor wore blackface. It doesn’t seem like that long ago that people just did that stuff without thinking about how it would make other people feel. The movie felt like another era in other ways too, like one character is very excited about his speaker phone, and there is the phonograph they keep listening to. It’s so interesting to see such things when they were real and not just a modern attempt to recreate the period. That’s why I love silent movies – those are actual flappers in them! Too bad we don’t have movies from the time of Bach and Vivaldi, or even further back, in the Middle Ages. Can you imagine how cool those would be? Back at the turn of the millennium, when I was hanging out with Mr. Ubi Caritas, he was very scornful of the time capsule they were planning to bury that year. “Why would anyone care about that stuff in a thousand years?” he sneered. I replied, “Are you kidding?? I’d be so excited if they found a time capsule from the year 1000!” I guess he was not much of a history buff, more of a true crime one. But Travalon understands - he loves history too.

Famous Hat

No comments: