Monday, November 30, 2015

Thanksgiving Part Two and Hiking by the Wisconsin River


I hope my readers had a great weekend. I had a pretty good one myself. Friday evening Richard Bonomo and I had fish fry at the Fountain, then The Dairyman’s Daughter and I went to see the Vienna Boys’ Choir perform at the Overture Center. A surprising number of people had brought very tiny children, and The Dairyman’s Daughter wondered why they couldn’t find sitters, but I thought maybe they were misguided enough to think that toddlers would be interested in a boys’ choir. Several people had to take screaming or fussing kids out of the hall. The boys did very familiar pieces, except for my favorite, “Ave Verum Corpus” by Poulenc. To our surprise, we ran into Tiffy and some of her family members there, so she and I agreed that we would see a movie together the next day.

Saturday morning Travalon had to work, so I met Rich, Luxuli, and another woman for coffee. Tiffy joined Rich and me for lunch at Himal Chuli’s, her favorite restaurant, then in the late afternoon she, Travalon, and I went to the final Hunger Games movie, which seems as if it would be very confusing if you hadn’t read the book. Travalon and I checked out a customer appreciation party at the Nau-Ti-Gal, then we joined Rich, Kathbert, Luxuli, and Prairie Man for Thanksgiving Part Two at Rich’s house.

Sunday I had been thinking of going to a Baroque music concert, but I forgot all about it and went to Sauk City with Travalon and Rodney. We took a hike on a trail along the Wisconsin River, then we stopped into the Blue Spoon Diner for some coffee to warm up, and then we drove to Ferry Bluff, but it is closed this time of year due to the bald eagles breeding. Actually, nobody is there to stop you, and there is no gate up, but there were signs, so we decided to be good citizens and obey them. We stopped into our favorite resort on Crystal Lake, and then we checked out That BBQ Joint for dinner. Warning: the spicy slaw is REALLY hot! It’s like one-third jalapeno peppers. The restaurant is on Willy Street, which Travalon says is the craziest street in the state, and we saw some interesting characters come in to get barbeque. Why not, it’s great food for a reasonable price. Then we picked up some stuff at the Willy Street Co-op, another place full of interesting characters. I once saw a guy in a giraffe costume there! Finally we headed home and watched Downton Abbey episodes for the first time in days. I am trying to get caught up before the new season starts, and we’re almost done with Season Three so we only have one more season to go.

Famous Hat

No comments: